Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic

I have a secret test for most of my basic recipes, the ones that I hope to use on just about anyone who drops by my kitchen and wants something to eat. These recipes need to be simple enough to prepare while drinking beer and chatting and tasty enough should the person who dropped by be, say, an incredibly picky eater named Julie. This recipe fits the bill perfectly, and works in just about every season (although I eat it mostly during the cold months). In fact, if you happen to find any of the deep purple or neon green cauliflower that shows up at some groceries and farmers' markets, it's quite beautiful, as well. The secret of making this phenomenal are using generous amounts of good olive oil and salt.

The exact same method can be used with asparagus, for a more seasonable approach.

Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic
one head cauliflower
at least three large cloves of garlic, preferrably more
about 1/4 cup virgin or extra-virgin olive oil
salt, pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 425.
2. Cut cauliflower into small florets. You want the peices to be bite-sized.
3. Cut garlic into chunks.
4. Spread the cauliflower and garlic on a baking sheet, and pour olive oil over them. Shake on salt and pepper to taste. Personally, I like my salt applied quite generously.
5. Making sure your hands are clean, rub the cauliflower and garlic around with your hands so that the oil, salt, and pepper are distributed relatively evenly. [Another, less messy, way to do this is to put all the ingredients in a plastic bag and use the bag to rub the ingredients together. It works just as well, but it seems unnecessarily fussy to me]
6. Put the baking pan in the oven, and cook for at least 20 minutes, turning the cauliflower over when it starts to turn brown. The cauliflower and the garlic should carmelize, turning a gorgeous golden brown around the edges.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I must say this treat that Tinkles introduced me to has become one of my favorite snacks to make other people cook for me:)

2:30 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I just made this, and it was SO GOOD! Not to mention incredibly easy.

What other veggies do you think you could do this with? Onions could be good. I think it could be great to make a whole medley of yummy carmalized veggies....

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home